Friday, July 3, 2009

Star Wars (the recent ones)

Okay, so recently Spike was showing all the new Star Wars movies on TV and I, of course watched them even though I've seen them a million times. Every time I watch them, I notice something new about the exquisite costumes. If you'd like to study the costumes more, check out the Padawan's Guide, which is a GEM. I'll just talk about some of my favorites and least favorites. I'll start with movie 1, which is really movie 4. First Costume: ------->
Ugh. Padme wears this one TWICE. I'm pretty sure it's the only one she wears twice too and it's the ugliest one. You know what it reminds me of? When you see one of those shows on National Geographic or the Discovery Channel about native tribes and the women's boobs are down to their knees? Well Padme's got two purple saggy boobs hanging from her head and that's all I'll say about that.

Then there's this one:

Padme wears this one when she goes to meet Anakin. It's her "commoner" outfit and frankly, I just think it looks cheap and not very well thought out.

Then this one: ----------------------------------->
The costume is okay but the headdress is RIDICULOUS. Need I say more?

I like the one below. It's feminine and yet masculine at the same time.


My favorite of Padme's costumes from Phantom Menace is this one though:

I love the subtle yellows and pinks, the Asian parasol inspired neck piece. It's beautiful. But, if you go to the Padawan's guide, you can see some closeup pics of the from panel and it looks really cheap-like it was done with glitter glue. I guess as long as it looks good on film it doesn't matter but I must say I was a little disappointed with that.

Okay, that was insanely complicated so now I'm just gonna do my favorite costume pick and maybe least favorite and do the rest in links. Besides, it's taking up a butt load of space.

I actually have two favorite costumes from Episode II. The first is the costume we first see Padme in:

This costume is gorgeous. On Padawan's guide you can see an inspiration pic for the hair. You should check out pics of the back of the dress and close ups. There's so much detail. I really love this one.

My other favorite one is this----->
The pic doesn't even do it justice. You've gotta see how it moves and how the light shines through it in the movie. The only problem I have with it is the hair. You can't see it in the pic but you can go to P.G. to see it. It basically looks like a caterpillar rolled up in a spiral. But man, the costume is genius.


Can I just say that some of the hairstyles are ON CRACK. I mean, they're better than in the first movie but geez. This one is rather interesting. I find that they increasingly try to pay homage to Lea's styles in the older movies. The neck piece is great though. Almost vampire like. And look at the back of the hair. It's like what sumo wrestlers and Hellboy do to their hair. Speaking of homages to princess Lea hair, this is one of least favorite hairstyles of the movie. The dress is great tho. Yet ANOTHER homage to Padme's future daugher, this is also two buns stuck on the side of the head, although this time, she's put hairnets on. Although I do love the dress and it's color. More here and oh my gosh the outfit is gross. There's sexy tummy like this costume and then there's tummy gone wrong like that blue one. Ugh. And the cape she wears with it is also gross. She looks like a nun. Okay, I have to mention the pancho costume. It does fit with the ruggedness of Tatooine but it bugs me that it hides Natalie's figure. She's basically a blob.

You may notice that I'm not mentioning any of the guys. This is because they are boring and mostly the same throughout the series although I do love that in the third one, Anakin get's all leathery and slick with those boots and the black glove. Muy sexy. :) So lastly, numero tres.

One of my favorites is this:

It's so simple and flowy and for some reason, I love when the shoulder is exposed like that but the arm isn't. I think it looks cool.

One of my other favorites is this one:
It's in that intense scene where Padme and Anakin are on opposite sides of the city and they just stand there looking out the window at each other as if they have some sort of connection. The color is a mix between green and brown and I just think it looks so regal. I also love how simple they left her hair in both of these pics.

Other costumes. This one is clearly Lea inspired. I mean on P.G. there's a pic of an artist and on the wall behind her is a pic of Lea so obviously they were trying to pay homage to her probably partly because it's in the scene where Padme tells Anakin that she's pregnant.
I absolutely love the head piece on this one. I don't think we ever see the full dress in the movie but if you want to see it, go to P.G. It's not that spectacular. I always remember it because it's when she says that great line, "So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause." Love it!. I hate this headpiece and thank heaven that this costume got cut out of the film because she's channeling Bob Marley or something. It's hideous.

One more thing. People don't realize how much work goes into costuming. Some costumes take days to sketch then get approved and then take months to construct and are only on screen for a few seconds or even edited out like that Bob Marley one and there's one other in Episode II that they dubbed the "family costume." So, I was watching Episode III one time and I saw this gorgeous outfit worn in the background, on screen for about 5 seconds. I had to look it up. It was originally designed for Padme but wasn't approved so it goes to a 5 second non speaking part. And it has that peeking shoulder thing I love too. :) It sucks so badly that no one really appreciates these things (except for me and a few others haha). Okay that lasted way longer than I intended but there you go. A summary of my thoughts on the Star Wars costumes.






2 comments:

  1. you have bad taste though. well i shouldn't say "bad," but very mainstream or dull

    The outfit where you said the headdress is ridiculous... it was modeled after the outfit of a Mongolian queen. That is the way she did her hair (along with other Mongolian women), and she painted a red spot on each cheek. You probably think it is "ridiculous" because it's from a different culture. I enjoy other cultures. You could learn something from them

    ReplyDelete
  2. yagın söndürme tüpü
    http://www.yanginsondurmeistanbul.com
    Yangın Söndürme Tüpü Fiyatları sektörünün öncü kuruluşlarından Burada Yangın Söndürme Tüpü web sitesi denemelisiniz kaliteli yangın tüpleri

    ReplyDelete